Join CoProcure as our first Product Designer
San Francisco, CA | Full-Time
The internet has transformed commerce in every industry except for government. A public employee can hire a babysitter or housecleaner, order groceries, or buy a new outfit in just a few minutes. But it takes months — or even years — for that same individual to complete a purchase on behalf of the public. The market for government spending is huge — $1.6 trillion at the local government level in the US alone —but remains inefficient and largely offline.
CoProcure is bringing the ease and efficiency of online shopping to public procurement. Our marketplace matches local and state governments with suppliers available on compliant contracts from peer public agencies. By aggregating and organizing public procurement information, CoProcure expedites the purchasing process for governments from 6+ months to a few weeks and lowers the cost of doing business for suppliers.
Increasing the efficiency of public procurement is an enormous business opportunity. It is also a force-multiplier for impact in our local communities. If you’re looking to grow at the speed of a startup and achieve impact at the scale of government, we encourage you to apply.
About this role
As CoProcure’s first Product Designer, you’ll work on a wide range of projects across user experience, user interaction design, visual design, branding, and the design process. You’ll own projects from conception to launch, working closely with a product manager and the engineering team to turn product ideas into intuitive user experiences. You’ll use research and qualitative data to guide design and development decisions, design new features, and help determine the product roadmap. You’ll also help maintain a consistent brand and visual design across our web product and marketing collateral. Finally, you’ll establish and scale design systems as we grow, guide the design vision for our company, and own the execution of that vision.
This is a full-time role based in San Francisco, CA. We support a hybrid work environment: most of our team members spend 3 days in the office and the other days working from home or remotely.
You’ve been looking for an opportunity that combines your product design experience with large scale social impact. You have experience working in design across the full software development lifecycle, from research and scoping to launch and maintenance. Now, you’re ready to roll up your sleeves, hear from users and teammates, and turn complex ideas and user needs into usable designs to launch new products. You can ruthlessly prioritize and know when to strive for pixel perfection and when a low fidelity sketch good enough. You’re highly collaborative; you get energy from playing a critical role in bringing a product to life and enabling a team to become more effective.
- Translate high-level product specs and user insights into intuitive and delightful product experiences.
- Articulate and develop a coherent design vision for the company and product.
- Assess design priorities and drive alignment with the leadership team about design resourcing and the role of design in the product roadmap.
- Rapidly develop multiple concepts and prototypes. Present early designs for feedback from users, PMs, and leadership, then quickly iterate to turn early designs into final designs.
- Partner closely with frontend engineers and PMs to launch consistent and reusable components and experiences.
- Produce design collateral in conjunction with marketing, community, and other business teams as needed.
- Other opportunities as they arise.
- Relevant experience: 2-5 years of product design experience.
- Strong UX, interaction, and visual design skills: You have significant experience translating goals, research, and requirements into mocks using common tools. You’re fluent in one or more commonly used design software and related tools (Sketch or Figma, Adobe CS, etc.)
- Entrepreneurial ownership mentality: You’re a self-starter who can readily acknowledge mistakes, own them, fix them, and learn from them in short cycles.
- Iterative mentality: You’re able to quickly put out imperfect ideas for feedback and ruthlessly prioritize, often without complete information, while still working towards a long term goal.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills: You’re equally comfortable discussing high-level strategy with leadership as you are getting into the weeds with teammates about a specific component or graphic.
- Bias towards action: You’re scrappy and execution-focused. You’re not intimidated by resource constraints; you find creative ways to unblock teammates and get things done.
- User advocacy: You’re relentlessly focused on user needs, and you’re able to represent this perspective within the company.
- Experience influencing others towards a desired outcome: You’re able to build consensus and engage different stakeholders to achieve a shared goal.
- Passion for impact: You’re excited about having an outsized role in shaping a product that will change how local governments spend $1.6T of taxpayer dollars, improve government services for Americans, and help new businesses grow.
Nice to have, not required:
- 2-5 years product design experience at a high-growth technology company.
- Past experience or interest in HTML and CSS.
- Experience leading and/or mentoring other designers.
- Experience with helping set product strategy through methods like design sprints, quarterly or yearly planning, and team brainstorms.
- Experience setting a vision for a product experience.
- Interest in growing into a management role.
- Interest in or experience working in the public sector.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.