Join CoProcure as our Head of Business Development
San Francisco, CA | Full-Time
The internet has transformed commerce in every industry except for government. A public employee can hire a babysitter or housecleaner, order groceries, or buy a new outfit in just a few minutes. But it takes months — or even years — for that same individual to complete a purchase on behalf of the public. The market for government spending is huge — $1.6 trillion at the local government level in the US alone —but remains inefficient and largely offline.
CoProcure is bringing the ease and efficiency of online shopping to public procurement. Our marketplace matches local and state governments with suppliers available on compliant contracts from peer public agencies. By aggregating and organizing public procurement information, CoProcure expedites the purchasing process for governments from 6+ months to a few weeks and lowers the cost of doing business for suppliers.
Increasing the efficiency of public procurement is an enormous business opportunity. It is also a force-multiplier for impact in our local communities. If you’re looking to grow at the speed of a startup and achieve impact at the scale of government, we encourage you to apply.
About this role
You'll be responsible for building the strategy, team, and business relationships to take our product from a search engine to a robust marketplace. You'll grow, lead, and coach our business team as we build out a supplier operations unit with the capacity to onboard suppliers to CoProcure, acquire and refine data from both sides of the marketplace, and conduct early monetization experiments. You'll work with external partners to help us open doors and grow our supplier base. You’ll also identify and help develop the product features, systems, processes, and teams we’ll need to improve the quality of our supply and more effectively match supply and demand. You’ll report directly to the CEO and work cross-functionally with product and engineering teams.
This is a full-time role based in San Francisco, CA. We support a hybrid work environment: most of our team members spend 3 days in the office and the other days working from home or remotely.
You have experience building and growing a marketplace. You have strong leadership and management skills, and a deep understanding of marketplace dynamics and how to spin the flywheel. You're able to set a strategy and a roadmap, organize a team, and execute effectively. You have amazing communication and coordination skills, and you're equally comfortable managing internal teams and negotiating with executive-level partner stakeholders. You've managed in a high-growth setting before and are excited to scale up our product and operations.
- Supplier operations: Establish and own this new area of CoProcure’s business, which includes driving the growth, onboarding, and retention of suppliers. Increase the size and quality of the supplier base and supplier data on CoProcure.
- Strategy and systems design: Work with the founders to translate the company’s strategy into projects, processes, and systems that support the execution of that strategy. Implement, manage, and iterate as needed to operate and scale the business.
- Partnerships: Explore partnerships that support our strategy. Manage executive-level partners and stakeholders.
- Organization design and people management: Build out and manage a high performing team.
- Monetization: Explore a monetization strategy and create a roadmap.
- Marketing and buyer operations support: Consult and support on buyer strategy and execution as needed.
- Other opportunities as they arise.
- A strong track record of business development leadership, ideally at a fast-growing marketplace technology company.
- Exceptional people management skills, including performance management, coaching, and more. You are humble, lead by example, and give teammates the support they need to do their best work.
- Decision making: you can prioritize through competing demands and complex problems. You can handle ambiguity in a fast-moving organization.
- Strategic leadership: you have experience defining and executing first of kind strategies to build innovative product experiences. You can build systems to solve problems at different levels of scale.
- Partnerships: you have experience defining partnerships strategy and managing executive-level stakeholders.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills: you’re comfortable gathering internal requirements, negotiating with partners, and working cross-functionally.
- Entrepreneurial ownership mentality: you thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility. You can acknowledge mistakes, own them, fix them, and learn from them in short cycles.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.