General Manager, Government
San Francisco, CA | Full-Time
The market for government spending is huge — $1.9 trillion at the state and local levels in the US — but remains inefficient and largely offline. A public employee has better online tools to hire a babysitter or buy a new outfit than to make an essential purchase on behalf of the public. By aggregating and organizing procurement information, CoProcure expedites the purchasing process for governments from 6+ months to a few weeks. We're bringing the ease and efficiency of online shopping to public procurement.
CoProcure has $465M GMV in annualized search value and that number is growing 35% quarter over quarter. If you’re looking to grow at the speed of a startup and achieve impact at the scale of government, apply to join our small team that's making a huge difference.
About this role
As our Head of Business Development - Government, you'll own the government relations and operations arm of CoProcure, which is the primary driver of our growth. You'll grow, lead, and coach our public sector team as we scale up our ability to reach, onboard, and retain government users. You’ll work cross-functionally with other teams including supplier operations, product, and engineering.
This role reports directly to the CEO.
This is a full-time opportunity based in San Francisco, CA. We support a hybrid work environment: most of our team members spend 3 days in the office and the other days working remotely or from home.
You have strong leadership and management skills. You have experience building and coaching a team to achieve ambitious goals. You're able to understand and map complex organizations and stakeholder structures, set a strategy and a roadmap, organize a team, and execute effectively. You have amazing communication and coordination skills, and you're equally comfortable managing internal teams and negotiating with executive-level partner stakeholders. You've managed in a high-growth setting before and are excited to scale up our product and operations and help more public entities find and leverage our marketplace.
- Become an expert: Gain a deep understanding of the landscape of public procurement, the different entities and their motivations and relationships, and where cooperative purchasing and CoProcure fit into the ecosystem.
- Be the face of CoProcure to our public sector users: Build empathy and relationships with our core users.
- Government user operations: Own this key area of CoProcure’s business, which includes Government Growth and Engagement; Community; Marketing; and Customer Success. Own all teams, workflows, and strategy around how government users interface with our free product.
- Strategy, systems design, and execution: Work with the founders to translate the company’s strategy into projects, processes, and systems that support the execution of that strategy. Implement, manage, and iterate as needed to operate and scale the business.
- Organization design, hiring, and people management: Determine what roles we need to fill to effectively execute on our plan. Hire and manage the people and eventually teams to execute on the plan.
- Other opportunities as they arise.
- Strategic leadership: You have a track record of business development leadership. You have experience defining and executing first of kind strategies. You can build systems to solve problems at different levels of scale.
- Experience working in complex and/or highly regulated industries: You have experience working in industries that are highly complex and/or regulated, such as the public sector, insurance, healthcare, education, finance, etc.
- Superb collaboration and communication skills: You’re comfortable gathering internal requirements, negotiating with partners, and working cross-functionally.
- Exceptional people management skills, including performance management, coaching, and more. You are humble, lead by example, and give teammates the support they need to do their best work.
- Decision making and prioritization skills: You can prioritize through competing demands and complex problems. You can handle ambiguity in a fast-moving organization.
- Strong project management skills and experience coordinating large projects with many moving pieces: You’re able to prioritize and sequence time well to be able to hit multiple goals at once. You’re detail-oriented and have a passion for execution.
- Entrepreneurial ownership mentality: You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility. You can acknowledge mistakes, own them, fix them, and learn from them in short cycles.
Nice to have, not required:
- Past experience working in or with the public sector.
- Past experience in leading business development or operations at a high growth technology company.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.