General Manager, Go to Market
San Francisco, CA | Full-Time
The market for government spending is huge — $1.9 trillion at the state and local levels in the US — but remains inefficient and largely offline. A public employee has better online tools to hire a babysitter or buy a new outfit than to make an essential purchase on behalf of the public. By aggregating and organizing procurement information, CoProcure expedites the purchasing process for governments from 6+ months to a few weeks. If you’re looking to grow at the speed of a startup and achieve impact at the scale of government, apply to join our team!
About this role
CoProcure is taking a radical approach to serving governments: we do not sell to public entities. Today, hundreds of public entities use our free and user-friendly product every time they need to make a buying decision. Almost half a billion dollars in transactions originate on CoProcure, growing 35% quarter over quarter. And more than 60% of new governments that use CoProcure have heard about CoProcure through word of mouth.
As GM of go-to-market, you'll set the strategy and hire, manage, and coach the team that will scale the number of government entities using CoProcure from hundreds to thousands. You'll hire, lead, and coach the go-to-market team to rapidly increase our capacity to reach, onboard, and retain government users. You'll work cross-functionally with other teams, including supplier operations, product, and engineering.
This role reports directly to the CEO.
This is a full-time opportunity based in San Francisco, CA. We support a hybrid work environment: most of our team members spend 3 days in the office and the other days working remotely or from home.
You're a creative problem-solver, strategic thinker, and an outstanding people manager. You have a track record of building and coaching a team to achieve ambitious goals. You're able to map the big-picture challenges and work with teammates to break those challenges down into actionable steps. You're a fast learner. You're a great communicator: you're equally comfortable managing internal teams, meeting with users, and negotiating with executive-level stakeholders. You have experience in a high-growth technology startup environment, and you're excited to apply your skills and experience to a massive market with important social consequences.
- Hiring, people management, and organization design: Determine what roles we need to fill to effectively execute on our plan. Hire and manage the people and eventually teams to execute on the plan.
- Strategy, systems design, and execution: Work with the founders to translate the company’s strategy into projects, processes, and systems that support the execution of that strategy. Implement, manage, and iterate as needed to operate and scale the business.
- Become an expert: Gain a deep understanding of the landscape of public procurement, the different entities and their motivations and relationships, and where cooperative purchasing and CoProcure fit into the ecosystem.
- Be the face of CoProcure to our public sector users: Build empathy and relationships with our core users.
- Government user operations: Own this key area of CoProcure’s business, which includes Government Growth and Engagement; Community; Marketing; and Customer Success. Own all teams, workflows, and strategy around how government users interface with our free product.
- Other opportunities as they arise.
- Exceptional people management skills, including performance management, coaching, and more. Your direct reports rave about working for you. You're humble, lead by example, and give teammates the support they need to do their best work.
- Experience in scaling: You have been a business or operations leader at a high growth company, ideally at a marketplace or consumer technology company.
- Strategic leadership: You have a track record of business development leadership. You have experience defining and executing first of kind strategies. You can build systems to solve problems at different levels of scale.
- Superb collaboration and communication skills: You’re comfortable gathering internal requirements, negotiating with partners, and working cross-functionally.
- Decision making and prioritization skills: You can prioritize through competing demands and complex problems. You can handle ambiguity in a fast-moving organization.
- Strong project management skills and experience coordinating large projects with many moving pieces: You’re able to prioritize and sequence time well to be able to hit multiple goals at once. You’re detail-oriented and have a passion for execution.
- Entrepreneurial ownership mentality: You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility. You can acknowledge mistakes, own them, fix them, and learn from them in short cycles.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.